3 Packet Chicken?? Is that the same as 3 Envelope Chicken? Yes my dear readers, they are both the same, and they are both DELICIOUS 😉
3 Packet Chicken = Easy Deliciousness!!
So, if you’ve been around here for a bit, you’ll know that one of my MOST FAVORITE and most popular recipes on the blog is my Crazy Delicious Instant Pot 3 Packet Roast.
It’s literally the epitome of what I think a roast should be. Savory, yummy, lots of dark thick gravy cascading over soft, fluffy mountainous mashed potatoes. (Dramatically worded, but accurate, trust me on that one. lol)
So naturally, it just makes sense that I would try it with a different protein, right? Hence, Instant Pot 3 Packet Chicken. You could also call it 3 Envelope chicken as I mentioned earlier, but call it what you like, but just don’t call me late for dinner! lol
SUPER EASY 3 ENVELOPE INSTANT POT DINNER!
Yes, you read that right. 3 packets. What are the packets, you ask? Well, here you go my lovely –
- 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
- 1 packet of Chicken Gravy powder
- 1 packet of Italian Dressing powder
I’ll bet you have those in your pantry right now, right?
Ok, But What Else Do I Need For This Instant Pot Chicken Recipe?
Well, besides the packets above, you’ll need the chicken. I used chicken breasts but you can use boneless chicken thighs as well if you prefer.
In fact, I think when I make this again, I’ll try it with the chicken thighs. The breasts were fantastic, I have no complaints. They were juicy and not overdone. But chicken thighs have a bit of a higher fat content, and we all know:
FAT = FLAVOR
So that would make this dish even MORE delicious!! (If that were possible because it’s so delicious as is!)
Btw, if you’re new to cooking with your Instant Pot – I have a handy little guide called Instant Pot Cooking for Beginners. Take a peek at it – it may make you feel a bit comfier working with your brand new appliance!
Other Questions You Might Have About This 3 Envelope Chicken Recipe:
- What if I don’t have an Instant Pot? – That’s not a problem at all! Simply look at the recipe card below, and there are notes at the end of the recipe. I’ll give instructions on other ways to use to make this dish!
- Can I use Italian Dressing (liquid) instead of the powder packet? – Honestly, I haven’t tried that yet, but I plan on trying it out and seeing how it works!
- Can I use water instead of chicken broth? – Absolutely. If you’re worried about the sodium content, I would opt to use a low/no added sodium broth only because it adds even more flavor, but if you don’t have that on hand, water is totally fine! You definitely need liquid in the bottom of the pot though, because it helps make the gravy, and you also need liquid for the instant pot to be able to build pressure and cook the chicken.
- What else can I serve with this instant pot chicken dinner besides potatoes? I’m bored with mashed potatoes! – Well, there are tons of great sides! You could try mashed cauliflower for a lower carb option, rice, of course, quinoa, or even a thick/broad pasta like egg noodles would be SUPER delicious with the chicken!
You could also serve this chicken and gravy over a few pieces of toast! Sounds crazy but don’t knock it till you try it!
Other than that, any green veg (peas, broccoli, etc) would pair great, or even some Cesar salad!
- Can I use my Ninja Foodi for this recipe? – For sure! Pretty much any pressure cooker will make this recipe.
- How long will this chicken dish stay good in the fridge? – Covered in an airtight container, (separate from the potatoes), this 3 packet chicken dish should be good for up to 5 days.
- Can I freeze this chicken dinner? – Ok, a few things here. If you wanted to cook it and then freeze it to reheat at a later date, I’d say yes, it’s totally fine for that. My only advice on that would be that you be careful on the reheat that you don’t overcook the breasts – in which case I’d probably make it with thighs instead as they are more forgiving. It’s practically impossible to overcook chicken thighs.. haha! Also, keep it in the freezer in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 2 months.
If you wanted to freeze this dish raw, this is what I’d do. I’d place the chicken breasts in a freezer bag. Sprinkle the 3 packets in the bag, mush it around, get all the air out of it and freeze it that way. On cook day, I’d place them in the Instant Pot (frozen) and go from there. The cook time should be the same but just know it will take much longer for the pot to come to temperature before it starts counting down the time. Don’t forget to add the liquid to the pot when you add the frozen chicken!
I’m Afraid That This 3 Packet Chicken Will Be Too Salty!
Honestly, I’ve had no problems with this at all. However, if you’re really worried about it, I suggest using only half of each packet. Then, when you’re done cooking, give the gravy a taste. If it’s not flavorful enough, add the rest of the packets. If it’s just right, then it’s just right, and save the extra in the packets for next time!
Do You Have Any More Easy Instant Pot Recipes?
I most absolutely do! I have a super creamy and filling Instant Pot Clam Chowder Soup that is out of this world! (Lots of clams!!). I also have a 3 Minute Maple Cinnamon Carrots recipe, and an Instant Pot Taco Tortellini recipe as well! I have many more Instant Pot and Ninja Foodi recipes on the blog – I invite you to click on over and take a quick peek at them!!
I hope I’ve convinced you to try this super delicious 3 Packet Chicken recipe! When you try it, please leave a comment (or you can email me directly at joanne@thesaltypot), and let me know what you thought of the recipe, or how you might have changed it up. I’m always down for new ideas!!
- 4 chicken breasts (approx 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 Hidden Valley Ranch packet
- 1 Chicken Gravy packet
- 1 Italian Dressing packet
- 1c chicken broth (or water)
- as desired, salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (optional, see notes below)
- 2 tbsp water (optional, see notes below)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Pour the chicken broth into the Instant Pot cooking bowl liner
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the bowl liner
- In a bowl, mix all 3 packets together well
- Sprinkle over top the chicken breasts.
- Place the lid onto the Instant Pot and cook on manual, high pressure for 10 minutes. Don't forget to move the toggle switch at the top to "sealing"!
- After the 10 minute cook time is complete, let the IP do a natural release. After ten minutes, move the toggle switch to "vent" and let any extra pressure release.
- Transfer all the cooked chicken to a plate. With two forks, shred the chicken into the size of shreds that you prefer.
- Mix the gravy in the bottom of the Instant Pot. If you would like it thicker, add the cornstarch slurry. If you like the consistency of the gravy as it is, simply return the chicken to the gravy and mix. (See notes for thickening the gravy below).
- Serve over mashed potatoes and enjoy!
The cornstarch slurry is used when you want a thicker gravy. The chicken gravy packet usually has a thickener in it, but you might find after cooking, the gravy is still too thin for your liking you may want to add a cornstarch slurry.
To thicken the gravy - Mix together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and pour into the gravy mixture BEFORE you return the chicken to the Instant Pot bowl. The extra heat should be enough to thicken the gravy. If it's not, then press the saute button and stir the mixture until it's thickened. Then return the shredded chicken to the gravy and stir.
To make this 3 packet chicken in a slow cooker: Add everything to the slow cooker bowl and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours or high for 5 - 6. Remove the chicken and shred, then add back to the gravy. For thickening the gravy, follow the instructions above.
Serving Size:1 1/2 c
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 241Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 520mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 38g