Do you love chocolate and hazelnuts? If you love this classic combination, odds are you love Nutella. These decadent Nutella Cupcakes capture that flavor combination to absolute perfection, in dessert form.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission AT NO COST TO YOU. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutella Cupcakes are rich, decadent, and the perfect cupcake when you want to indulge.
Why is this incredible cupcake recipe so good?
- It turns a favorite condiment into an insanely delicious cupcake.
- There’s nothing complicated about the recipe, most ingredients are probably right in your pantry now.
- They make a great snack, dessert, or gift for anyone needing some love.
For the Cupcakes
- Brown sugar – Dark brown sugar has more molasses, and I personally believe more flavor.
- Cocoa powder– using good quality cocoa powder makes all the difference in this recipe. I like using Dutch cocoa powder.
- Baking powder – always use the freshest leaveners you can.
- Baking soda
- Salt – imperative to use to help accentuate the flavors in the cupcake.
- Eggs – again, fresh is best.
- Vegetable oil – I like using a neutral flavored oil such as avocado oil.
- Milk– Full fat if you can! 2% or 3% milk fat milk will help increase the decadent mouth feel of these cupcakes.
- Vanilla – Mexican vanilla is the best in the world, but if you can’t get your hands on that, other vanilla will do, or, if you have the time, try making your own! (They’re perfect for gifts!)
- Hot water
- Vanilla buttercream – You can purchase buttercream in the stores, but if you want to make your own, try using this recipe from VJ Cooks, her buttercream recipe is delicious!
Garnish – (both these ingredients are optional but they help echo the flavors of the nutella.)
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Crushed toasted hazelnuts
Making Cupcakes with Nutella
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with paper cups.
In a large bowl whisk together sugar, brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until well combined. This helps to make sure everything is even once you add in liquid ingredients.
Next whisk in your egg, vegetable oil, and milk.
Add in the hot water and mix until blended into a smooth cake batter.
Fill lined muffin tins half full with your cake batter.
Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean
Cool completely before moving on.
Place ½ cup of Nutella in a piping bag with a small cut tip.
Scoop out a section in the center of each cupcake and pipe in the Nutella to fill the space
In a bowl mix the buttercream and ½ cup Nutella until well combined then place in a piping bag with a 1M star tip. You can choose to use another tip if you want a different frosting shape.
Pipe a high swirl on each cupcake.
Garnish with chocolate sprinkles and crushed toasted hazelnuts
Suggestions for Putting a Twist on It
This cupcake is a lot of fun but you can still dress it up a bit to make it your own. Try using gold cupcake wrappers to make them stand out.
Adding a drizzle of chocolate, caramel topping, or melted Nutella over the frosting is a fun way to add a bit more flare to your cupcakes.
For a different flavor twist, try adding a pinch of red chili flakes to give it a low ‘hum’ of heat, or, add a teaspoon or two of cinnamon to the cupcake batter.
Try placing a red glace cherry in the center of the cupcake, mixed with the nutella, for a fun ‘black forest’ type of cupcake surprise!
Want to make this a boozy treat for the adults?
Try swapping out the vanilla extract and a bit of the water for your favorite spiced alcohol (such as spiced dark rum) to give the recipe some kick. To give a more direct boozy flavor, you can mix some chocolate liquor into the Nutella as well as making a homemade buttercream frosting with liquor in place of the vanilla.
Also, try adding a pipette of chocolate liquor for a garnish.
Serving and Storing
These delicious cupcakes with Nutella will last in a container with a lid in the fridge for up to a week. I have never froze them, but I think as long as they are in a freezer-friendly, tight-lidded container, they will do fine for up to a month.
To thaw, leave them in the fridge overnight, or take them out onto the counter to thaw individually. If the lid is left on them while on the counter to thaw, the condensation may mess with the frosting.
To serve, they would be a fantastic addition to any dessert table. Or, as I like to have them, simply with a tall glass of milk, or a nice warm cup of coffee/tea.
Have you tried this delicious Nutella Cupcake Recipe? If so, please leave a comment and a rating in the recipe card below. Have a fantastic day!
- 1/4 cup Sugar, white
- 1/2 cup Sugar, brown
- 3/4 cup Flour, all purpose
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk, (whole milk if possible)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 3 cups Buttercream, vanilla
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup Nutella in a piping bag with a small cut tip.
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Hazelnutes, crushed and toasted.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with liners.
2. In a large bowl, sift and then whisk sugar, brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until well combined.
3. Next, whisk in the egg, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla to the dry mixture. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Add the hot water and mix well.
5. Fill the muffin tins half full with the cupcake batter.
6. Bake for approximately 18 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
8. Place 1/2 cup of Nutella in a piping bag and cut a small tip on the end.
9. Scoop out a small well in the center of each cupcake and pipe in the Nutella to fill the space you created.
10. In a bowl, mix the buttercream frosting and the remaining Nutella until well combined. Place into a piping bag with a 1M star tip.
11. Pipe a high swirl on each cupcake.
Garnish with chocolate sprinkles and crushed hazelnuts.
Serve and enjoy!
Reading the body of the post gives you a lot of great tips and ideas for switching up the recipe to make it uniquely yours.
Find out how to make these rich chocolate cupcakes with a cherry surprise in the center, or if you want to make an adult version, there are tips and tricks on adding spiced rum...!! Yum!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 529Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 2gSugar: 62gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods, and portion sizes per household.