Pretty like a tropical flower, this Tropical Sunset Drink tastes as delicious as it is pretty. It’s an easy cocktail to whip up when having company last minute, or for any pool party to give you that beachy vibe.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission AT NO COST TO YOU. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Beachy Tropical Sunset Cocktail
This island cocktail transports you to a tropical paradise with its cheery citrus flavor. The layered splendor of this nice refreshing drink swirls into a bright tropical orange reminiscent of those breezy brilliant colors of a sunset in the caribbean.
If you are looking for an easy-to-put-together drink for a warm summer night you can’t go wrong with this tropical sunset drink. This one is easy to make by the glass or even the pitcher though you definitely get the full effect of the sunrise by mixing by the glass.
- Orange Juice
- Fruit garnish like maraschino cherries and orange slices for a pretty garnish
How to make your own Tropical Sunset Recipe
- Start by filling each glass plenty of ice. This will chill your drink and keep it cold. It will not water it down unless you take a long while to drink it.
- Pour your Tequila and ice-cold orange juice into your glasses
- Add in a slow drizzle of Grenadine and allow it to settle at the bottom of the drink.
- Add in a stir stick or straw, and an orange slice, a pineapple wedge and a cherry can be added to garnish if you would like.
- After serving, stir the drink to create a smooth bright orange result. As it mixes, watch the red and orange swirl, it’s so pretty!
- Look below at the printable recipe card for all the exact ingredients and directions to make these tequila cocktails!
Switching up the Cocktail Recipe
You can change this drink up and make it even more tropical flavored by switching the orange juice for pineapple, mango juices or any tropical fruit juices or even fruit punch. Depending on the juice you add, the color may be slightly different. And adding a squeeze of lime juice would be divine.
Switch up the lineup a bit and add some malibu rum, or completely replace the tequila for the coconut rum to give the cocktails even more Caribbean fever like my piña colada shots!
Add some sparkle! If you want to some uniqueness and make it fancy for a party you can add edible glitter that will swirl when you stir the final drink. This can be a fun and exciting way to make any cocktail amazing and unique by adding a hint of sparkle.
Make it a slushy drink (similar to my Pineapple Slushie) with the option to use a blender to mix the tequila and juice together and crush the ice. To help keep the red on the bottom when serving you can place the grenadine at the bottom of the glass and swirl to spread it right before pouring your slush into the glasses. This is a great option on the hottest of days!
If you have the time ahead of the party, try making layered juice ice cubes that can be blended into a slushie version, and can be used for both versions (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) of this drink.
Looking for a tropical treat to relax at the end of the day? Try this Hibiscus ice tea to enjoy the amazing benefits of this flower.
How to make this deliciously tropical layered drink into a Mocktail
If you are serving these at a party that will have children or there are people abstaining from alcohol, you can easily make a mocktail version by leaving out the tequila.
Then, to spice it up a little, replace the tequila with some lemon-lime or club soda to add some bubbly interest. This can be a fun option for letting the kids get in on the fun.
Another option is to purchase Non-Alcoholic Tequila Spirits that taste like tequila but contain no alcohol.
Make ahead Options and Storage
To make this sweet orange cocktail ahead of time, you can premix the tequila and orange juice and easily store this mixture. However, after mixing your drink with ice you will not want to store this as the ice will water the drink down.
If you need to make as much of this as possible ahead of time for a party, stick with simply mixing the orange juice and tequila and storing it in the refrigerator. This can be stored until the expiration date of the orange juice.
Party Snack Ideas to Serve alongside this Tequila Cocktail
There are so many great ideas for this. Easy to make snacks like a charcuterie board for grazing and these Buttery Seasoned Corn Chips and Garlic Ranch Pretzels would be fun. Add some Pineapple Habanero Salsa to round it out a bit.
And if you wanted something to serve that’s still an appetizer but a bit more substantial, these Sweet and Sticky Chicken Wing Skewers would be a huge hit along with these Hawaiian Burger Bites! Try these Pineapple baked beans in the slow cooker and serve some Pineapple Chicken Foil Packets for a well-rounded tropical party menu.
Tequila Sunset Drink
This delicious Tequila Sunset Drink will transport you to the tropics in one sip. Easy to make with tequila, orange juice and grenadine, this sweet cocktail will bring that beachy vibe to any get together.
- 8 ounces Orange Juice
- 4 ounces Tequila
- 1/2 ounce Grenadine
- Ice as desired
1. Begin by placing the ice in the glasses. (see below for the slushie version)
2. Pour the tequila and orange juice into the glass.
3. Put the grenadine into the glass by slowly drizzling it along the side wall of the glass. This way the grenadine will pool at the bottom.
4. Serve the drink with the layers visible and a stir stick or straw. Let your guest mix up the ingredients.
5. Garnish with cherries, orange slices and a fun drink umbrella!
1. To make a slushie version, instead of adding the ice to the glass, blend the ice, tequila and orange juice together. You may need significantly more ice than if you were just to place it in the glass.
Pour the grenadine into the glasses and then slowly spoon in the tequila orange slush mixture over top the grenadine to keep the layers separate.
2. If you have larger glasses than a typical 8 ounce tumbler, (like a hurricane glass for instance), increase the grenadine amounts and increase the orange juice by approximately 2 ounces.
3. Juices like Sunny D or a tropical fruit punch will make the cocktail sweeter if that's what you're looking for.
4. A good idea is to use a No Pulp orange juice to keep the cocktail smooth.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods, and portion sizes per household.
Leave a Reply