Don’t you just love an easy dinner?? Well, this Zesty Pineapple Chicken Foil Packets is one of those super easy dinners. Best part? It’s super delicious too!
Pineapple Chicken Foil Packets = Super Easy Dinners!
When you’re super busy but need to get dinner on the table with minimal effort, this is one to turn to. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s delicious, and because there’s pineapple in it – the kiddo’s usually gobble it up!
If you remember, I did another foil packet dinner before this one. It’s the Sausage Foil Packet Dinners with Corn and is a really popular one the blog!
You know, I should really make more of these foil packet dinners because they’re so easy!
Ingredients To Make The Chicken Foil Packets Right
Again, like a lot of my recipes, you will likely have all the ingredients on hand in yoru pantry. You will need:
- Chicken, of course
- Peppers (any kind you wish)
- Pineapple (canned is totally fine)
- BBQ Sauce (only your favorite sauce will do!)
- Hickory liquid smoke (optional use here, but super yummy!)
- Garlic, salt and pepper
How Can I Meal Prep These Chicken Foil Packets?
Easy! So I would do all the steps up until putting on the sauce. Do not add the sauce in with the packets before you freeze them. The sauce would freeze, but upon thawing, it will water down and won’t be as nice on the chicken. Leave the sauce until the day you are going to cook the packets.
Next, I’d wrap the foil packets up as if you were going to cook them. Place them in a heavy-duty freezer bag or container and freeze them up to 1-2 months.
To cook them, thaw them the night before, and before you’re going to cook them, open the foil and put in the sauce over the top.
Wrap them back up and you’re off to the races!
Can I Substitute Chicken Breasts with Thighs?
Absolutely. I would use boneless, skinless thighs though, and depending on the size of the thighs, I might use two thighs per replaced breast.
Do I Have To Use The Liquid Smoke With These Chicken Foil Packs?
Not at all. The liquid smoke is optional to use. I happen to like using it as I like the flavor. Even if you’re making these packets on the grill, they won’t really get much of the ‘grill’ flavor as the chicken is all wrapped in the foil.
But if you don’t use it, these packets will be just as delicious!
Looking for other grilled chicken recipes? My Grilled & Skewered Chicken Wings are super fun to make and crazy delicious. Or how about these Juicy BBQ Chicken Thighs from Natasha’s Kitchen!
Well, I hope you give this really delicious and easy recipe a try! I love the fact that you can make it them in the oven, or also on the grill. So versatile!
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below, or, send me an email at Joanne@thesaltypot.com. I’d love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!!
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
- 1 can pineapple chunks, (or tidbits) drained
- 1 sweet pepper, green, red, yellow, whichever you prefer
- ½ onion, large, diced
- 2-3 drops liquid hickory smoke (optional)
- 1 c favorite bbq sauce
- as desired garlic powder, salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 350
1. Dice up the pepper, onion, and pineapple. (see notes about the pineapple).
2. Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
3. Equally divide the pepper and onions between four large pieces of foil. (see notes).
4. Place the seasoned chicken on top of the peppers.
5. Equally divide the bbq sauce ***See notes*** between the four breasts, spreading the sauce over the entire top of the chicken.
6. Equally, divide the pineapple between the four packets and place on top of the chicken.
7. Fold the packets up so the seam is at the top and fold over to seal.
8. Place the packets on a tray (or on the grill) and roast in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 180 degrees.
9. Remove from the oven or the grill and let the chicken sit for 5 minutes
10. Serve on rice or potatoes and enjoy!
1. If you use chunked pineapple, you might find the pieces are too big so feel free to cut them down a bit to better fir the packet. I didn't mind them the size they were but please do what you prefer.
2. Please use a good quality foil if you were are going to use the grill to cook these packets. Using a thinner foil may cause the bottom of the chicken and veggies to burn.
3. If you are using the hickory smoke, now would be the time to add it to your bbq sauce and mix it well. The hickory smoke is optional.
Serving Size:1 breast
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 356Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 876mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 39g