There’s nothing like adding your favorite drink to make something delicious… and in doing this, I came up with a perfect dessert, snack or even breakfast (hey, on a lazy weekend, why not?? lol) with Apple Pecan Croissants with Butterscotch Schnapps Sauce!
Don’t you just love it when you take something ordinary, and make it “highbrow”? Well… highbrow is a relative term, but let’s just say “elevate” it to a waaay better place. Much like the character Lady Edith Crawley, (in one of my favorite shows everrrrrrr – DOWNTON ABBEY -) who improves her position in life through marriage, this cute little dessert does the same. It goes from a wallflower-ish bore of ingredients to the dainty and grand “Marchioness” of Dessert Land. The marriage that happened there?? Well, apples, dough and BOOZE, of course. You know alcohol had to be involved somewhere, right?
Yep, believe it or not, these Apple Pecan Croissants get all “adulty” and sophisticated with a Butterscotch Schnapps sauce…. And I’ll tell you, wrapping something up in a delicious butterscotch boozy sauce pretty much automatically makes things fancy shmancy in my books.
In all seriousness though, this is an awesome dessert that takes no time to whip up and I’ll bet all the ingredients can be found in your pantry right now. Ok, maybe not the Butterscotch Schnapps but you know, there’s a huge payoff if you buy just a small bottle of it.
- It makes regular dessert sauces SAUCEY *wink wink*
- You can add a shot (or two) to pretty much any hot beverage and make it awesome
- Add it to your syrup on pancakes for a super interesting weekend morning! (again, why not???) lol
- On stressful days, you can always swig it right from the bottle, straight. I’m not saying I’ve done that or anything,,… it’s just an option I’m putting out there.. lol
- And the best payoff? – Apple Pecan Croissants with Butterscotch Schnapps Sauce
See, HUGE BONUS if you ask me.
So, my lovely readers, the only thing I ask you to do is make sure that when you are cooking the sauce for these delectable apple pecan croissants, you cook it long enough to burn off the alcohol taste so the butterscotch flavor can shine. (yes… I said SHINE in a super cheffy way). If you don’t, you’ll probably be able to breathe fire like a dragon, plus most people might think you’re day drinking and you know, breathing fire like a dragon is just no damn good.
- 1 pkg Prepared croissant dough (8 croissants)
- 2 Apples
- ½ C Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Butter (melted)
- ¼ C Pecan pieces
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 ounce Butterscotch Schnapps
- 1 ounce Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp. Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. Water
- Wash, quarter and de-seed the apples.
- Unroll the croissant dough and lightly roll them longer and wider
- Starting from the skinny end, roll the apple slice in the dough, working towards the thicker end. When you reach the thicker end, wrap the ends towards the center, almost like wrapping a cloth diaper.
- Combine the brown sugar and butter together. Place in the bottom of a 7 x 11 greased baking dish. Sprinkle the pecan pieces over the sugar.
- Place the apple/dough slices, seam side down, in the sugar/butter mixture.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the 8 pieces.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- While they are baking, in a sauce pan, combine the butterscotch schnapps and cream together and heat to a low boil to cook off the alcohol.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water into a slurry. Slowly add to the butterscotch sauce and turn down the heat when it begins to thicken. Remove off the heat and let sit.
- When the croissants are completely baked, remove from oven. Using a spatula, scoop one bun out of the dish being mindful to scoop some of the brown sugar/pecan mix on the bottom along with the bun, onto a serving plate. Garnish with a spoonful or two of the butterscotch schnapps sauce.
What sort of Schnapps Liquor do you like? Had you ever thought that mixing these lovely things together could come up with Apple Pecan Croissants with Butterscotch Schnapps Sauce? Tell me what you think.
While you’re here, check out these other mouthwatering recipes I think you’ll like….