When I asked you lovely people in my Facebook group, what you’d like to see more content on, a lot of you mentioned some slow cooker meals. So I’ve got quite a few lined up, and lets start with this super tasty dish – Pineapple BBQ Meatballs!!
Pineapple BBQ Meatballs
This is one of those dishes that when you start eating it, it just gets better and better.
It has combination of flavors and textures that you want in a great dish. Sweetness from the pineapple preserves, tangy and savory flavors from the BBQ sauce, a nice juicy crunch from the peppers, pineapple and pea pods, and a nice meaty texture from the meatballs. Pair this dish with some freshly made rice, and you’ll have your all your loved ones thinking you’re the most wickedly amazing parent and dinner cooker, hands down. (And you are!).
I’m all for easy when it comes to kitchen pursuits, for the most part. I think I’m not alone on this. While I enjoy baking bread, canning, or making butter, when it comes to a busy weekday and I’ve been busy working all day, it’s nice to just have something to turn to when you’re ready for dinner.
Best part is, this Pineapple BBQ Meatballs recipe can be made ahead of time! Just add the ingredients (except the peppers and peas), place them in a freezer bag! Then with a busy day ahead, simply plop the frozen contents into the slow cooker in the morning and it’s ready to party at dinner time!
If you have premade meatballs left over from another event and have them on hand, by all means, use these. Otherwise, store bought meatballs will do just fine!
So throw the meatballs in the slow cooker (frozen please!). Add the chunked pineapple, the pineapple preserves and the onion.
Add the bbq sauce. Give it a mix
Cook on low for 6 – 7 hours. An hour or so before cooking time is complete, add the peppers and pea pods so that they have time to warm through and soften, but still be firm and not mushy.
What about substitutions?
If you wanted to switch a few things up, you could:
- – Add broccoli and baby corn instead of the peas and peppers
- – Serve the dish mixed with a rice noodle, which would be a really nice twist on regular rice
- – No pineapple? No problem, use mandarin oranges! (use two of the smaller jars though).
- – Like things on the spicy side? Easy! Add a pinch (or up to a 1/2 tsp) of dried chili flakes, or sliced red chilis
Serve it on a bed of rice, and you’re good to go!!
If you’re looking for a meatball dish that’s not so sweet, check out this Slow Cooker Cream of Mushroom Meatballs, here! I think you’ll like this Pineapple BBQ Meatballs recipe because it’s just one of those dishes that needs to go on the dinner rotation list because it’s so flippin’ tasty!!
- 1 lb frozen meatballs
- 1 c pineapple preserves
- 1 can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 c bbq sauce (your favorite, but I used sweet baby rays)
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and chunked
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 c pea pods, chunked
- Combine all ingredients except the pea pods and the red peppers in the slow cooker pot
- Cook on low for 6 - 7 hours.
- In the last hour of cooking, add the pea pods and the peppers.
- Cook for the final hour and serve on rice