Briny, fresh from the ocean tasting shrimp, creamy green avocado, and the dressing adds creaminess and tang which is best friends with avocado and shrimp.
The scrumptious filling is stuffed into a fresh mushroom cap, and I have to say, the best thing of all about these yummy shrimp and avocado bites? It’s a no-cook appetizer! That’s right, no cooking is involved at all and can be made in 10 minutes!
Shrimp and Avocado recipe
My grandma was a fantastic woman and could cook her booty off in the blink of an eye. She was a whirlwind in the kitchen and could produce a masterpiece from stale bread, a chicken foot, and a radish.
She loved dill and used it a lot in her cooking, so now every time I eat something made with the herb I’m transported back in time to her dinner table.
You’ll see in the recipe that I leave the amount of dill to use, up to you. I feel that the use of fresh herbs and most spices should be measured with your heart.
It’s pretty straight forward and I’m pretty sure that you’ll have all the ingredients already in your pantry.
- Shrimp, of course
- Avocado, of course
- Celery and onion
- Mayonnaise, pickle juice and lemon juice
Making this perfect bite appetizer
The steps are super simple, anyone can make these.
- Clean and prepare the mushroom caps
- Mix all the filling ingredients into a bowl
- Stuff the mushroom caps
- Chill the appetizers covered until you’re ready to serve.
SALTYPOT TIP: Don’t wash your mushrooms in water to remove the dirt. Use a damp, clean towel to rub it off instead because mushrooms will soak up the water and get soggy.
Questions, substitutions, and storage
What else can you serve the shrimp and avocado salad on?
Ok, seriously though my fantastic readers, this appetizer is super easy to make and it’s awesome because it’s so versatile for serving. If you don’t have any fresh mushrooms to serve it on, you can also use:
- little crackers
- crispy siljans
- you can scoop it up with veggie sticks like celery or wide cut carrots
- or, if you want to be a social pariah, your fingers.
How do I store it?
It’s best to chill it in the fridge after it’s made, covered, for at least an hour. Leftovers will last up to 3 days, and I don’t recommend freezing this appetizer.
Can I make the shrimp salad ahead of time?
Absolutely. I recommend only making it a day ahead, and do not stuff the mushroom caps until a few hours before you want to serve it.
What other appetizers can I serve with this one?
I have a few other appetizer recipes that go really well with this one. My Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mini Peppers is one, and one of my personal favorites, Summer Cucumber Avocado Salsa. These are all super delicious!!
So if you have a fancy event coming up, like New Year’s Eve, or a not-so-fancy event, like Monday Laundry Day, this cute appetizer will fit the bill.
Thanks so much for stopping by The Salty Pot today!
- 1 Celery stick, large, diced fine
- 1 teaspoon Onion, diced fine
- ½ Avocado, diced
- 1 C Whole shrimp, cleaned and tails removed
- ¼ C Sour Cream
- ¼ C Salad dressing, miracle whip
- 2 teaspoon Pickle Juice
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- To taste Fresh dill, chopped
- Combine celery, onion, and shrimp in a bowl.
- Add the sour cream, salad dressing, pickle and lemon juices and combine together until well blended.
- Add the fresh dill and avocado, taking care not to crush the avocado chunks, just folding them in gently.
- This is best if you leave in the refrigerator for the flavors to mingle and enhance, but you can go ahead and serve it as it’s made as well.
** I don't include how many mushrooms because the mushrooms are basically the vehicle to get the salad to your mouth, haha. Seriously though, I'd say you could do a dozen mushrooms with this salad.
However, I would recommend that you use a variety of vessels to serve the salad - crackers, celery, etc. You could even use the avocado shell if you were going to have this for lunch, or, to keep it to the appetizer lane, you could also hollow out cocktail tomatoes and serve the salad in those!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 61Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g